Friday 13 January 2012

first post

What I have really enjoyed so far in the course was the ‘Really Bad PowerPoint’ presentations.  It was fun watching other people present their PowerPoint mistakes.  While watching, I realized I have done some of these mistakes in past PowerPoint presentations.  Every presentation was funny and the mistake they were exaggerating was clear.  I feel that now every time I see a PowerPoint during a lecture I am going to be very critical and remember those presentations. 
Some of the really simple technologies we used in class I have already seen during my practicum.  Some of the kids had created word clouds about themselves.  They put hobbies, interests, and personality traits.   They were excited about the word clouds and wanted to make more of them for other classes.  My CT showed me the rubistar website while I was at practicum.  Rubistar also allows you to make changes and develop your own rubric which will be a great help while we are teaching. 
During the past few classes we have watched several films.  The first film was called Opening Speech by Norman McLaren.  It was an interesting example of how we may fight technology but eventually embrace it.  We also watched a TV program about the Hudson Bay man and the American soldiers which was entertaining.  The last film we watched was Cosmic Zoom by Eva Szasz from the National Film Board of Canada website. 
I would like to also say that I am now convinced to get an iPhone as soon as possible.  Right now I have a blackberry and I’m constantly complaining about how slow it is.  After seeing how fast an iPhone is I am definitely converted. 

3 comments:

  1. Tee hee, another one bites the dust!! Always glad to see another iPhone convert :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way Kate! I am getting very tempted to buy out my Blackberry contract and switch over to the iPhone! If used properly, like in this class, I think it can add a lot of flare within the classroom and be a handy resource when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an iphone user I HIGHLY recommend it! As the prof was saying a few classes ago, it is WAY more than a phone. (I hardly even really use it as a phone!) I think you will really like how fast and efficient it really is!

    ReplyDelete